Saturday, July 24, 2010

Killing Time in Kigali

Hey, so the trip is wrapping up thus the witty comments and insights. Sorry.

So spent the day really just killing time. I needed to meet with the travel agent to try to figure out why Delta sucks so bad. Nothing definite but have some pretty good ideas. After being assured that I will indeed get home as scheduled me and Bright embarked on the longest 3 hours ever. Poor kid.

As cool and as down with what the kids are into these days as I am, I guess many hours with a 41 year-old over-weight, hard of hearing (what?) white man is not the tonic to pull a 13 year-old Rwandese boy out of a shy, quiet personality. Oh well, I guess I have the next 5-9 years to work on that.

First I made Bright go on a walking tour of Kigali with me.

"Bright, let me tell you about the Belgian troop memorial.."

After that we proceeded to the famous, refurbished Mille Collines Hotel and had $3 sodas.

"You know Bright, prior to 2000 this used to be the fanciest hotel in Rwanda..."

Then I made him walk to the guest house that the students of 2009 stayed and the students of 2011 will stay,

"You know Bright, last year we stayed at this guest house with the actress who played Kate in Lost.."

Then to Saint Familles Catholic Church.

"Well Bright, you know that...."

We sat there and watched the adult drivers ed students crash the red drivers ed car into cones for about 45 minutes. I read, Bright pretended to sleep. (Lots of that going around).

Went to the internet cafe, went to Greg's house, listened to music in separate rooms, went to eat Indian food (best I have had BTW)-see I told you I was down with what the kids are into these days-LOL, I'm the bomb.

Back to the house and slept until the mangy, sickly, dog next door (that looks like a hyena) woke me up at 6am. To take it easy on Bright I pretended to sleep until 8.

On Saturday we will kill time but hanging out, last minute shopping (seems like no one wants a bracelet from Rwanda!), eat, internet cafe, and getting to airport.

Thanks for following. I am going dark until I add some photos and give you a detailing of Bright's first plane ride and the mauling by the Cave family at the airport.

Check back sometime next week! (echhooo, ecccchhhhooo, chirp, chirp, tumbleweed, tumbleweeed.....)

Wup, wup, raise the roof, Word.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

James,
I didn't know you had a brush with Kate. Last summer I met Hurley. But I think you win. Good job at forcing your lifestyle and values on Bright so soon. And you're still on his continent! Fast work my friend.
Seriously, this is well written and funny. Happy travels.
--Colin

Anonymous said...

Thanks Colin. Did you like the use of my inner-monologue?

I don't come even close to the standards of a locals humorist however.

We also met Charlie on the gorilla trek.

Only a few more and we have them all!

Seriously, thanks for reading.

--James

Unknown said...

Beautiful review. Well done.
I love the Land of a thousand hills, Rwanda.

KATONA TOURS AND TRAVEL. http://www.katonatours.com