Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 1 Group Activities

Today I went basket making with Krista, Gabby, Jake, Mitchel, and our fearless group leader Jeff. Had a breakfast consisting of a variety of breads and started on the walk to the baskets. Our tour guide was very helpful and would point out some stuff as we passed by. He pointed out some people who were getting there motorcycle licenses and a fish farm on our way. We got into the outskirts of Ruhengeri and we attracted mobs of kids as we passed by. It was strange for me that the kids would just come running after us without telling anyone. Later when we were reflecting on the day Jeff said he wouldn't even let go of his kid in a parking lot let alone have them chasing after Muzungos[Rwanda for white people] on narrow paths surrounded by cliffs! When we finally got there the ladies who helped us were super nice but they knew very little English so communication was difficult after out tour guide left to get us a ride back.The woman who helped me picked up a started basket and tried to show me how to do it. After working at it for a few hours i had made a very small coaster. It was embarrassing because it is easy to see where i started and where she had to jump in and help. I was starting to feel pretty good about my adequate weaving until i looked up and saw the massive tarp full of a rainbow of beautiful baskets. I had always admired the baskets before but having to sit down and make them made me really appreciate the effort that they put into each basket. the tour guide said that the larger baskets can take u[p to five days on just one basket! I also had to preper dinner for 20 plus! Thank goodness for Delphine otherwise I would still be @ the market trying to figure it out! Rave reviews from all who had our french toast with Nutella. Cant wait for the adventures that tomorrow will bring.

-Chloe

No comments: