Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crazy Start to the Trip

So trying to update with an iPhone. Here goes!

Get to airport and they tell me my Minneapolis to Atlanta leg has been canceled and they can't get me on another flight because they are overbooked. Huh?!

Anyone else think that is messed up?

And how the heck does a Delta flight to Atlanta get canceled?!

More later.

UPDATE (7/15/10 @ 3:00 pm)

So here goes,

Little did I know that the flight being canceled was only the beginning of my "unusual" start to the trip. After being told that the flight was canceled I was told that they could not find my ticket. Huh? They had a seat for me on the plane, I selected a seat for 4/6 of the segments and the online itinerary said "confirmed" but they could not find my ticket.

After 1 1/2 hours at MSP, I was told that they saw I had a ticket from Atlanta to Brussels, Brussels to Kigali. That was it. Huh, well I thought I could get the return segments dealt with in Kigali and I would have to pay for a one-way ticket to Atlanta to make my flight at 5:45. "I do not want to pay to go to Atlanta if they will not let me on a plane in Atlanta or Brussels." "We gaurentee Mr. Cave that you will be able to get on the plane."

"Mr. Cave, we do not have a ticket for you." AHHHHHHH!!!!

Long story short, fought, discussed, argued, moped, with Delta people all evening as I heard the final boarding message announced.

As I slept on the floor of an empty airport (REI, thanks for making a great travel towel but it is a poor substitute for a warm sleeping blanket) I was in contact with my friends Dave Kuntz and Greg Bakunzi in Rwanda to figure out what I was going to do.

As of this morning at 8:30am I can say that I have a boarding pass to Brussels in hand(Who knows about to Rwanda but at least I am getting on a plane).

After a 5.5 hour stay at the Sleep In in Atlanta (kinda a romantic get-a-way for myself) of sleeping and showering, I am about the board a plane to Brussels, to Nairobi, to Kigali.

I am scheduled to arrive in Kigali at midnight Friday, July 17.

Amahoro,

James

No comments: