Sunday, July 18, 2010

It took awhile but its good to be home.

So, I am just going to say this one last time: Delta sucks. I'm done now.

So I arrived in Kigali on Saturday morning about 12:15am. I quickly made it through customs and met my friend Greg. He drove me to his new home in Kigali. Very nice, private and sparsely decorated. He said he will not even tell his sisters where it is. He doesn't want people to come there.

I laid down to sleep about 1:45. I was having a hard time falling asleep so I looked through my bag for some Tylenal PM. Dang, didn't bring any but I did have Dramamine. Popped one and slept until 11:30am the next morning. Funny. I am now a sleep aid user I guess.

Greg and I went to a new shopping mall and had a vegetable sammich and, er how do you say in English, Amazi aconje, oh yeah cold water.

After lunch greg dopped me off in the Kigali town center and I walked to the bus station. I purchased a bus ticket to Ruhengeri. Its about a 2 hour bus ride through some of the most beautiful countryside you will ever see. Only one person barfed on the bus. Good thing I am big, bald and handsome so when my fellow Rwandans hiss at me to close the window there is nothing they can do about it.How do you like me now.


I arrived in Ruhengeri about 4:30 and went straight to see my friend Delphine. I was a bit disappointed that she was not at the BG guest house when I arrived. Greg had not told her I was coming. As I sat outside I called her on Dave's Rwandan cell phone and she moto'd right over.

We chatted a bit, I gave her some photos then she walked me to her new house she is renting (long story-something about her brother and being sick, etc). She used to live in the BG with Greg's sister Winnie.

After returning to the BG I walked around Ruhengeri getting reaquainted with my peeps. I internetted, bought some bread from some kid who wanted to learn English.


Ruhengeri is changing so much. There are new hotels and even a video billboard on the main street.

I went back to the BG and chatted with 2 Canadian med students and a women from Harvard for a while then went to bed.

Sleep was ok.

This morning I woke about 8, had tea, chatted with Delphine then my good friend Hassan stopped by. I gave him some photos and a Bob Marley shirt. He loved it.



As I was chatting with Hassan Greg's son Bright come through the gate all smiles. He had just gotten home from his last day at boarding school in Uganda. He said that his friends and sisters were sad he was leaving. His youngest sister Moline (the Rwandan radio-she talks alot) even cried.

We chatted about Minnesota. Bright will be starting 8th grade at BSM this next fall instead of 9th. Looks like 5 years with the Cave's instead of 4 (and he informed me he wanted to go to University in United States as well. Can you say 9 years?!).

After a morning of chatting and working on my kinyarwanda I decided to go for a walk. Through the markets, down the street then to Greg's office to use the internet and eat bananas with Greg's sister Maureen.

It looks like I will go to Northern Uganda with Bright on Tues or Wed. We will see. It is a 12 hour bus ride and I don't feel like barfing or getting barfed on. Needless to say I am looking into a plane ticket from Kigali to Entebbe (in NU) or Kampala.

Thanks for reading.

A special shout out to my absent travel buddy Dave Kuntz. Our native land is not the same without you (But I am learning more Kinyarwanda. I guess I will have to teach you sometime if I remember English).

Of course to my family: Molly and the kids-I miss you and I will be home with your new brother from another mother and father on Sunday, July 25.

Amahoro, er, how do you say in English, oh yeah, Peace.

Cave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI James! Good to hear that you're actually there...red dust barf and all. I hate Delta too. Be safe, good luck with the 12 hour rides and I'll be interested to read about the interviews and new people you meet! Peace, Megan K