Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mission to Uganda Aborted by US Government and Bus Sickness

So, last night (Monday) after I blogged I started to look at the news. CNN said that the State Dept issued a travel warning for US citizens traveling in Uganda(especially Kampala).

As I was about to wrap up I checked my email one more time and there was an email from the embassy telling me not to come to Uganda, that because of the African Union meeting in Kampala there was a fear that there would be more bombings. I got a bit nervous (especailly the part about the FBI/CIA in Kampala working with local law enforcement).

This morning I woke up and took the 6am bus to Kigali. As I was riding I decided that I would not go. I really wanted to see the north and learn more about child soldiers/brides and Joseph Kony but I just had a bad feeling (plus I am dehydrated and a bit underfed-I have lost some weight already).

I called Greg and he told me not to go. I met Alex at the bus "terminal" and he said it was fine. I reluctantly got on the bus and started the 2+ bus ride to the border. I barfed in my mouth, I was dizzy and found myself hoping we hit a tree or something to disrupt the trip.

As we neared the border, our bus was stopped (along with tons of trucks, busses, etc) and searched for about 30 minutes.

As I got out of the bus I barfed in the road. I told Alex I would pay him for his morning but I was going back to Kigali. As we weaved our way through all the chaos to find a bus I started to chat with two Americans. They told me not to go to Kampala, Total police state for the past almost 2 weeks (since the bombing).

Funny, you could not tell that from being in Rwanda. The same peaceful, organized place I love (Even with elections in 3 weeks and campaigning starting on Tuesday).

Luckily we found a bus, I took dramamine then passed out on the bus.

When we arrived in Kigali I called Greg and he told me I did the right thing. I took a moto to the UTC got some food (cheese wedges and bread) and a cold sprite from Nakumat and tried not to barf in the food court for 1.5 hours. I must have looked so bad that the manager came and asked me if I was ok.

I totally feel like I missed a great opportunity to do something good and bring a great experience to the students. I hope I did the right thing.

I couldn't keep my food down so I decided not to travel to Ruhengeri today. I found a $15 guest house and passed out (really I think I passed out) for 3 hours. I woke hoping to feel better but I didn't. I went to O SOle Luna, 3 pieces of pizza, lots of water and Sprite (in honor of Dave's birthday).

I am hoping to go back to Ruhengeri tomorrow (Wed) and see Bosco one more time (I forgot my camera the first time) and just relax.

Thanks for reading.

Cave

No comments: